Magan’s public house, bakery, hardware store was established in 1826 when Michael  Magan married Frances O’Farrell, a daughter of Thady O’Farrell who lived in Killashee. Charles Bianconi had a stage coach stop here in the early 1800’s and the coach house still exists today.

The pub and shop got many of their supplies off the Royal Canal for generations. Guinness and fertiliser were regularly delivered down the 140 kilometre journey from Spencer Dock to Savage Bridge. Magans has featured on a number of documentaries about the Royal Canal, presented by well known TV personalities including Dick Warner and Manchán Magan.